I can't believe 2 weeks has already passed by - it seems like forever ago that I was terrified on that first day. Dr. T mentioned that she thought it would be nice if I said thank you to her cardio staff in Vietnamese - I obviously tensed up when she said this but I thought that she was absolutely correct, that it would be polite for me to do so. So last night, I had my mom and dad write me a few sentences in Vietnamese, just saying thanks to everyone for being so welcoming and friendly, even though I didn't know Vietnamese, and that I'd promise to work on it until I return again (which I hope to do some day - maybe 4th year?). Although I had basically memorized what I was supposed to say, once I entered the staff meeting this morning, I got nervous so I realized on my (mom's handwritten) notes. It went as successfully as it could - I received some applause at the end, but I can't tell if it was because I did a good job for a beginner or that my speech was over and they didn't have to listen to my horrendous accent anymore.
Dr. T also organized an informal breakfast at a local restaurant to give thanks to all of the doctors who worked with me throughout the week. I knew that my parents wanted to meet them and to say thanks themselves, so they accompanied me to work this morning as well (and yes, they were there to witness my 'speech'). Not all of the doctors could make it but I was very grateful for those who did (I know the mornings are their busiest times of the workday but after 11 AM, it seems too be pretty relaxed). The reactions of the docs meeting my parents were pretty funny because I guess the majority of the docs those that I was a 'con lai' or half-Vietnamese, half-Caucausian person. Seeing my two Vietnamese parents gave some of them a surprise. Here's a direct (including the spelling mistakes) quote from a terribly sweet text message I received from one of the docs (text message was the primary way of communicated with this docs - most of them have iPhones because the hospital has free Wifi!):
Aivi, sory I can't come to have brf w u. Hope u ve enjoyed the time in ur home country, always friendly, sincere n warm. Also strong enough (like ur aunt) to run a long, challenging way of medicine. See u!
Dr. T asked me to prepare an informal summary of the things I observed or participated in during my internship so that she could relay this information to the vice president of hospital affairs - I believe he was the one who signed off and approved of my being there in the hospital. Guess every hospital has its red tape!
Even though my school didn't require any formal certificate of completion, Dr. T asked me to draw one up just to have for my records and for the hospitals. I think it's a good idea in case there are any doubts about what I did in Vietnam (this blog could serve for proof!). Any suggestions of where I can find a template of an internship certificate?
Afterwards, my mom went a little camera-crazy and took a bunch of pictures around the hospital (I'm pretty sure this wasn't allowed because the cops kept wanting to approach us but Dr. T was with us so we were all good to go):
That ended my official stay at BV 115! Overall, I thought that the internship was an awesome experience for me - it gave me a look into how healthcare is in general as well as in a different country. I got to see a variety of different specialities that I never gave much thought before (such as cardiology, rheumatology, etc) - it wouldn't have done me any good to shadow in areas that I know I have an interest for because I could search for those opportunities in the States. I wanted this period to be a time for me to explore things that were out of my comfort zone (and boy, were they). I usually put myself in new, uncomfortable, unfamiliar situations (sometimes on purpose, most of time on accident) but this time, I really got a lot out of it. On a personal level, the magnitude of not knowing Vietnamese even though that's my background gave me a huge reality slap in the face. I realized that I don't want to completely lose that ability as I grow older so I'm going to make a conscious effort to learn more and practice more at home. I want to be able to return and know that my language skills have improved since my first trip. So there's one of my life resolutions.
The rest of the day involved resting because I've officially come down with something, and that something is a nasty cold. I woke up today with the biggest, swollen, (tonsillar) lymph node on my under my left jaw - it hurts when I turn my head to the side, it's that big. But I felt kind of proud with myself when I could name which node it was - i know, dorky.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


No comments:
Post a Comment