Saturday, June 12, 2010

greetings from hong kong!

One more flight to go until we're in Ho Chi Minh!

Just got off of my first overseas flight - 15 hours. I practically died.  The longest flight I've been on prior to this was only 6 hours so you can imagine how antsy I was. AirCanada had these sweet monitors and I pretty much watched every chick flick that has been out the last 2 years (a mindless and guilty pleasure but I'm sure C is happy that I saved him the pain from watching these with me). 3 inadequate airplane meals later, we finally made it to the other side of the world. 

Luckily, there was a pay-in nap place in the Hong Kong airport and we had a 7 hour layover so we booked a nap.  $60 for a 3 hour nap - way over priced but SO WORTH IT.  The place was actually really neat - private rooms for each bed with clean sheets and pillows. Those that know me are aware that I'm physically incapable of taking naps but I was exhausted.  I hadn't slept the night before our 6 am flight out of DC, couldn't sleep on the plane (I think I also have to be horizontal to fall asleep too), and there I was, exhausted and willing to pay $60 bucks for a nap.  

I don't have much else to report except that my parents are currently making friends with some Vietnamese locals as we wait for out last flight. And by friends, I mean they are talking to 4 people each at the same time. Such social butterflies.  We definitely look 'American' compared to them. My mom is afraid of pick-pocketers and told me not to speak English in public so they don't know that I'm American; I guess my mom thinks that pick-pocketers would assume all Americans are rich. Little do they know that I'm a poor, broke American students so joke's on them! They'll just find a lot of gum and a small bottle of hand sanitizer.

2 comments:

  1. was the airplane ride that bad? we've survived regular 12 hour trips to canada with no problem.

    ReplyDelete
  2. yeah, it was pretty bad for me. motion sickness/jet lag combination. plus, you know that those canada car rides are filled with pit stops because someone has a small bladder.

    ReplyDelete